Why are we fighting alongside people seeking asylum?
- Some people have been trapped in an unjust, opaque, and utterly confusing legal system for as long as 10 years.
- The most vulnerable group of people seeking asylum still don’t have work rights, study rights or any government support like Medicare.
- For those applying for protection, the process is so complex that even their lawyers with many years of experience and whose first language is English, have a hard time completing the 36 page long application.
- As yet, we haven’t seen any changes to Australia’s broken temporary protection regime. The recently announced budget offered very little extra support for refugees, even less than the Dutton/Morrison Government.
Until the last person trapped in the system is protected and their rights upheld, the support of the community is the only instrument the ASRC has to continue fighting for the rights of people seeking asylum.
When you donate to power the fight, you are:
- Making sure somebody seeking asylum can pay the fees our government charges to apply for permanent protection.
- Helping to put lawyers on the ASRC hotline to give legal advice to people seeking asylum, and reassurance that they’re not alone as they begin their journey to safety.
- Putting lawyers in courts and tribunals representing people seeking asylum to make sure their claims are properly heard.